Friday, June 26, 2009

Fridays are fun days

Fridays have always been one of the best days of the week. I wonder why? 8-)
So what to do, simple question for me, I really need to work on my Land Rover.

Funny thing about Land Rovers, you love them or hate them. It has become a status vehicle, one of those look at me, I am driving a Land Rover, I must be successful. That applies for the modern vehicles since the off road capability, while still superior, is all electronically controlled, just not right. Seems someone has decided that the gentry must not have a bumpy ride no matter where they happen to be driving. Sad!

More funny; the original Defenders imported into North America are still selling for silly high prices. Unfortunate for Land Rover the original sales were so poor, but then again, they really did not advertise the fact they were available. The original Defenders just showed up on dealer lots, no fan fair, just another vehicle. I guess someone in the corporate brain trust figured the name would sell.
Nothing has really changed, no real advertising, but who would want one of the new vehicles loaded with electricery in any case?

Now the older vehicles, that is a different story. An older Land Rover will get you anywhere, and of more importance, it will get you home every time. Something to think about; 30 year old Land Rovers are still being used as daily drivers all around the world. Crazy people, why would someone want to drive a 30 year old vehicle? Because they can, and because they still run well, even after 30 years. Would a modern vehicle be able to do that?

OOH, a clunker, killing off the population... Bite Me. Cows cause 30% of the co2 load, but none of the tree huggers seem to have noticed that fact. Cows get a tad upset when you try to attach a catalytic converter to their emission system however. So lets not go there shall we, these classic vehicle have long ago paid for their carbon foot print.


I love my Land Rover, in fact I love all the classically styled Land Rovers. Over the years I have driven almost every example of the breed in some of the best places to feel their incredible capabilities.
One of the most memorable; driving a 101 on Dome Plateau at Moab Utah. I had flown into Colorado Springs and an independent Land Rover mechanic was waiting to drive me to the Solihull Society annual rally. The 90 he was driving belonged to another owner, he was just driving it to Moab for him, and was welcome to have the company for the drive. This is typical of Land Rover people, we tend to go out of our way for fellow enthusiasts.
After an all night drive we arrived in Moab, not quite sunrise, I even managed a 3 hour sleep before heading out to the morinig gathering. this is the point I was introduced to the owner of the 90, he had driven to Moab in his 101, and as luck would have it he had an open seat for a passenger, he had joined the Dome Plateau group for the days ride.
The 101 is one of the Land Rover breed I have always wanted, having the oppertunity to be a passenger in one for a day long trip was just like an early Christmass, and I was bubbling with excitment. In fact, with apologies to the owner, I talked the whole road trip to the trail head.
An amaizing thing happend at the trail head, he got out of the 101 and got into the drivers seat of his 90 which was along as well. being a bit confused I asked hoim who was going to be driving the 101, his responce as a simple; You are, and he pulled out on the trail.
After I picked up my jaw, panic set in, how the hell am I going to figure this one out?
I had a Lightweight at home, how different could this be?
Sitting out front of the wheels was an interesting position to be in, which became even more evidant at the first down hill.
Sufice it to say I had a grand time, I can remember the experience all these years later just like it was yesterday.
Land Rover owners, who are part of the culture, are fantastic people. Perhaps eveyone should have an oppertunity to experience the life.
One Life Live It...

No comments:

Post a Comment