Saturday, July 11, 2009

There back!!!

GM and Chrysler have emerged, out of the legal closet as it were.
Chrysler has started off on the more or less correct path, they have decided to keep the Viper, as far as i am concerned that is a good move someone has to compete with the Corvette. I tried to buy a Viper once, a few days after i bought my Discovery I stopped by the dealer. I should have known I would have problems when the salesman who looked down his nose at me had more oil on his head than in the crank case. He reluctantly showed me the Viper, and, OH, OH he let me sit in it. Then the bone head asked me if I could afford one, what's with that?
I replied, and I quote; Look outside bone head, I just bought that Land Rover, and I think maybe I will go and find a more enlightened dealer.
The point of all this?
Lets hope that the Chrysler dealer network, or what is left of it, doesn't judge people, and actually provides service.
On the GM front, also known as government motors, I wonder if everyone in the US gets a business card?
GM claims they have a new culture? That they are going to have to prove.
GM had a culture that dictated that all the Directors were more or less untouchable, free reign, they could not do anything wrong. I was told this by a GM retiree at the SEMA show.
I hope when they proove to be total bozos that at very least GM upper management takes ownership and admits the mistakes.
Of course I have a story to illustrate this.
A few years back one of these 'untouchable' directors was a speaker at a SEMA breakfast.
During the meet and great after the breakfast, I spoke to said director, and we got to talking about a project I was working on. I explained I had a 55 Chevy pick-up that I was building into a hot rod, but with a difference, I was, was is the key word here, going to power it with a diesel.
He offered to get me a diesel motor, no problem he claimed, just drop me an e-mail after the show and he will set it up. Cool.
So I get home, send him an e-mail, and he tells me that he will get the wheels rolling.
About a month passes and I hear nothing from him, than another month. Considering I have a fair amount of design work to make this project work I send him another e-mail. A simple inquiry as to what is up. In return I get a very curse, almost nasty, piss off e-mail.
Wow, that was a massive turn around. Being the curious type, I responded and asked what happened? Why the change from loving the idea of the build to legalese, go away totally unfriendly.
Next I get a call from some security clown from GM, telling me never to contact said Director again, or there would be circumstances. Well, well, wasn't that nice, this Director goes from very friendly, offering to help with a project to send out the dogs attitude.
This is an interesting cultural indicator.
GM so called Directors, just don't seem to understand the power of word of mouth. Before the internet, a person would tell another person, who would tell five, who would each tell five, etc.
Now we have this thing called the internet. Apparently some people don't understand the concept. One posting can be seen by thousands, and they never really go away, things posted years ago still exist out there.
Again, the point?
This culture of untouchables is one of the major reasons for the demise of GM, lets hope they fix that flaw.
Needless to say I am no fan of GM, never really have been, I like the lines of the 50's era vehicles, however I am never going to buy a NEW GM vehicle.
They may be back, but they are still closing plants, 20,000 workers are now unemployed due to plant closings since GM came out of the bankruptcy closet. Yah right new culture. Sounds more like same old, same old. Go Chrysler! Go Ford!

No comments:

Post a Comment